Monday, January 17, 2005

Day 1

My first formal college class in almost 10 years is coming up tonight. This journal is a requirement for GMST560 - "Three Areas of Technology" at St. John Fisher College.

I'm in my 26th year in the technical/engineering field and have decided to change career directions. It's not a u-turn, but maybe forty-five degrees or so - staying involved with math and technology, but from a different point of view.

The Math, Science and Technology education program at St. John Fisher was immediately interesting to me. My educational background covers a wide range of subjects and a program that provides an integrated approach to education across all technical fields seems like the way to go. Here's the catch - I know little about the educational system, being a teacher, lesson planning, curriculum development, etc.... So in those respects I am starting from scratch.

The program application process required a personal statement that further defines my initial thoughts and feelings about where I believe I'm headed. Here it is:

"My interest in entering the field of math and science education has its root in a number of life experiences. Some of these happenings are specific while others are more general in nature. I will start with the present and work backward in time in my review of these events.
I am a bit of a late blooming parent, having been blessed with our daughter Caroline almost 2 years ago. Having this child in my life naturally leads to speculation about the day she goes off to school, and I have realized that I know little of substance about today’s secondary education system. My desire to understand what she will learn and how she will learn it has encouraged my interest in teaching. In addition, the preparation and experience will permit me to be of some help and inspiration to her as she matures.

A second recent factor in my life is the completion of 25 years as an engineer with the Eastman Kodak Company. This “round number” compels a review of one’s professional career, aspirations and objectives. My academic and professional life has covered a broad collection of college coursework, work assignments, responsibilities and technical fields. The bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering led to my employment at Kodak, and to several years as a mechanical design engineer. It was during this time that I entered a masters degree program in electrical engineering, which was completed in 1991. Much of the coursework in this program added to my math background, in addition to courses with content from the other physical sciences. At Kodak, I moved into assignments that focused on digital image processing, which were centered chiefly on applied mathematics.

It was during these particular assignments that I began to develop a further interest in understanding the details of imaging, including the physical processes and underlying science. I entered the masters in imaging science program, again at RIT, after completing the MSEE. This program had significant math content, especially in regard to statistics and probability theory. There was also extensive coursework in chemistry and physics as part of courses in chemical, electro-photographic and electronic imaging processes. I completed the MSIS degree in 1997, and from 1992 through 2003 I worked as a systems and image quality engineer, focused on color hardcopy imaging systems. Most recently I am again working in the area of digital image processing systems in the Space Systems Division of ITT Industries, which was purchased from Kodak earlier this year.

The upshot of this review of my academic and professional career is that I have a considerable background and interest in mathematics and the physical sciences. I have also completed a significant tour of duty in the industrial world that provides insight into how these tools are applied to products and processes. I have spent substantial time on the receiving end of the academic process, and feel that I can point some of that experience and knowledge in the other direction to the benefit of others that were in my position thirty-odd years ago.

There is one other long past experience that involves my high school physics and calculus teacher, Mr. John Mildrew. Even today, I clearly recall his enthusiasm and love for sharing the value of the subjects he taught. He had a real effect on my attitude for learning physics and math, and although I last saw him in 1975, he remains inspiring. The power of the Internet led me to discover that he is still teaching math and physics at a community college in Phoenix, and is involved in several organizations focused on developing excellence in physics education. Obviously he hasn’t lost his passion for education.My specific goal in applying to the Math, Science and Technology Education Program at SJFC is to become certified in and teach high school math, and eventually physics. It is a career change but one that, as I have described, feels like a natural progression and product of my personal, academic and professional experiences.
"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home